Re: SELinux

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 01:11 +0200, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> not to me mention that fact that am the root of the system ? Why can´t
> it just back off and let me do what i want to do ?

And where would it stop?  (At SELinux backing off instead of blocking.)
It's job is to stop bad things from happening, not to stand idly by and
let them.

SELinux is another of the protective measures on your system, if you're
just going to override it, there's not much point having it there, at
all.

Being root doesn't mean that you should just be allowed to do anything,
it's not as simple as that.  You'd leave yourself open to all sorts of
"shooting yourself in the foot" problems.

Made all the more worse when users start running things as root that
they don't really need to.  Running Acrobat reader as root?  Not a good
idea.

The whole idea of running as root, in general, is bad.  The concept of
trying to force something that's currently not working, by switching to
the root user to try and run it, isn't much better.

<Insert old proverb of using a hammer to fix everything>

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.