Re: Locking down F14 shutdown options

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I couldn't follow these
directions -- maybe I'm missing something obvious ?

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 09:56:15PM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> > Can I modify F14 to require the root password when either
> > Suspend/Restart/Shutdown is selected via the Shutdown Options
> > (lower-right corner of GDM login screen), or when a user
> > selects System -> ShutDown -> Suspend/Hibernate/Restart/Shutdown
> > from the gnome-panel ?
>
> gconf-editor can do what you want to do.

so far, so good...

> You can remove the "main menu" application entirely, add the "logout"
> button to the users' panels, and then go to apps-panel-global and select
> locked-down. (This works for either a single user if you run gconf-editor
> as that user, or globally if you run gconf-editor as root.  Note that if
> you set it as the user, the same user can change it back again.)

I fired up gconf-editor, and searched around. No "main menu"
application, and couldn't find any entry for the 'logout' button
either. Tried both as a regular user, and as root (ssh -X root@localhost).

There is a panel/global/locked_down key, but I don't yet have anything
worth locking down :(

> Another alternative is apps- gnomepowermanager-can_hibernate and can_suspend
>
> or
>
> apps-gnomepowermanager-buttons-power (change from "interactive" to "nothing")

I did see this suggestion elsewhere as well (on some of the Ubuntu
formus, to be precise). There are no keys named 'can_hibernate' and
'can_suspend' underneath apps/gnome-power-manager. If I add them and
set them to false, nothing happens (any user logging in at the console
still gets a System/Shut Down menu entry, and so does the gdm
login/greeter screen. Besides, I'd also like to prevent users from
shutting down and restarting, not just hibernating or suspending.

Did I miss anything in your instructions, or did something change
recently ? I am on F14.

Thanks,
--Gabriel