Re: Dell PowerEdge M710 with Intel Xeon 5667 processor

Siavoush Dastmalchi <siavoush11 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Dear JB,Many thanks for your kind reply.
> I know that those programs works under linux and am currently using them under
> fedora.

What Fedora version do you have ? What kernel version ?
Please provide these displays for us:
$ $ cat /etc/fedora-release
$ uname -a

> What I want to know is the suitability of Dell PowerEdge M710 with Intel
> Xeon  5667 processor for parallel computation under linux system.

Fair enuf.
But your Fedora version and kernel version will have something to say about
that, at least with regard to hardware supported ...
Please provide info asked for above.

> By the way, I always have problem with this yum command.
> Issuing the following commands gives me error:
> $ yum list "*gromacs*

According to this link:
the installonlyn plugin is a "history" (dated back to year 2007).
Please provide info asked for above.

> Setting up  repositories
> extras
> [1/2]Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: extrasCannot find
> repomd.xml file for extrasError: Cannot find repomd.xml file for
> extras

Please provide info asked for above.

> Cheers,Siavoush

Btw, on my F14 system the following is also relevant to your questions:

$ yum list "*gromacs*"
Available Packages
gromacs.i686                               4.5.3-2.fc14              updates
gromacs-bash.noarch                        4.5.3-2.fc14              updates
gromacs-common.noarch                      4.5.3-2.fc14              updates
gromacs-csh.noarch                         4.5.3-2.fc14              updates
gromacs-devel.i686                         4.5.3-2.fc14              updates
gromacs-libs.i686                          4.5.3-2.fc14              updates
gromacs-mpich2.i686                        4.5.3-2.fc14              updates
gromacs-mpich2-devel.i686                  4.5.3-2.fc14              updates
gromacs-mpich2-libs.i686                   4.5.3-2.fc14              updates
gromacs-openmpi.i686                       4.5.3-2.fc14              updates
gromacs-openmpi-devel.i686                 4.5.3-2.fc14              updates
gromacs-openmpi-libs.i686                  4.5.3-2.fc14              updates
gromacs-tutor.noarch                       4.5.3-2.fc14              updates
gromacs-zsh.noarch                         4.5.3-2.fc14              updates

$ yum info gromacs
Available Packages
Name        : gromacs
Arch        : i686
Version     : 4.5.3
Release     : 2.fc14
Size        : 328 k
Repo        : updates
Summary     : Fast, Free and Flexible Molecular Dynamics
URL         : http://www.gromacs.org
License     : GPLv2+
Description : GROMACS is a versatile and extremely well optimized package to
            : perform molecular dynamics computer simulations and subsequent
            : trajectory analysis. It is developed for biomolecules like
            : proteins, but the extremely high performance means it is used
            : also in several other field like polymer chemistry and solid
            : state physics.
            :
            : This package provides single and double precision binaries.
            : The documentation is in the package gromacs-common.
            :
            : mdrun has been compiled with thread parallellization, so it runs
            : in parallel on shared memory systems. If you want to run on a
            : cluster, you probably want to install one of the MPI
            : parallellized packages.
            :
            : N.B. All binaries have names starting with g_, for example mdrun
            : has been renamed to g_mdrun.

JB