Re: fedora build of firefox may be buggy

On 01/15/2011 09:01 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
<snip>

> Thanks g, what a great tip.

welcome. glad it worked for you.

<>

> Although saving modified pages is possible once one learns about the
> "Web Page, Complete" option it does behave differently than all the
> others and it's not at all intuitive (imho).

i found "Web Page, Complete" first time i save a page with firefox.

i had been used to netscape's way and when i moved to firefox and it
wanted to save page in home directory. when i clicked "Browse for other
folders", i saw options.

i am a 'nosy cuss' and always check out options when i see them. helps
in learning how things work. ;)

anyway, i tried both "Web Page, Complete" and "Web Page, HTML Only" to
see what each did and new real quick what to use thereafter.

> Having an option to save a document and its associated files is a good
> thing.  No idea what the difference between the other three options are.

yes it is. i have also used "Text Files" and it only save text. logical.

i have never tried "All Files", but will next time i save a page. i am
guessing that it may save all files in 1 directory.

*note left side* of extended save that you are given a list of directory
names. this is to allow quick changes to other paths. clicking '+' symbol
will add current directory name to list. once added, and you want to save
a page to a directory other than what is showing, clicking 'up/down'
arrows will show list that you have saved.

this makes for quickly moving to path that you want.

to make use of this feature, i have saved both 'parent' directories to
paths that i use often and actual directories. this does make for faster
page saving.

+1 for firefox authors.

> From my perspective it would be nice to be able to snapshot states of a
> web page as it changes without having to pull in all of its related
> files on each save.

not to worry.

i do online banking and i save all new statement pages, and payment pages.
after saving page, i go to 'statement' and/or 'payment' directory and add
time stamp to file name of new save.

in so doing, i only get 1 'page-name_files' directory and thru time of
doing this, page designs have changed.

when i go back thru old statements or payments, page will show just as it
was when originally save.

in other words, as long as name of page stays same, '*_files' directory
will contain what is needed to show page correctly.

> There is also the consideration that the exception to conventional
> usage does require special documentation to advise users how to
> "work around" the contravention.  "Do it this way unless..." is
> always a built in disaster.

from years of using computers, i have come to conclusion that program
authors expect users of programs to be inquisitive about what they have
written and click everywhere that there are options to see what options
are and what options do. :)

--

peace out.

tc.hago,