Re: Fedora 14 i586

Hi Kevin,

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 08:30:17 -0800
> suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I am not familiar with these boards, but from what I read on Wikipedia
>> these are not very different than standard 32 bit machines. I will ask
>> again, have you actually tried the standard 32 bit media? Since your
>> platform is not radically different (e.g. PPC). i586 is just a subset
>> of i686. I would expect almost everything to work out of the box.
>> Maybe try the netinstall.iso, then any non standard packages required
>> for your platform could be pulled from the repos.
>
> It's will not work.
>
> Fedora is compiled for i686 (+some options).
>
> i586 cpus will not work with i686 compiled packages.

Thanks for clarifying my misconception. This might help the OP,

<http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=All&origin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=i586&status=Active>

But I don't see any RedHat based distros in that list. Although there
are a few rpm based options.

--
Suvayu