Re: gnote vs Tomboy

On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 17:21 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> Several versions of Fedora ago the default note taking software was
> switched from tomboy to gnote supposedly because gnote was a more
> efficient binary program.
>
> Now it turns out that the latest version of tomboy which can be yum
> installed includes the feature to allow you to synchronize the notes on
> several machines including Windows and Mac.
>
> I tried installing tomboy but the installation left me unsure about how
> to do the installation complete with the gnote notes.
>
> Has anyone tried this and have some tips about the conversion. Am I
> correct that the tomboy database was located  in a file called .tomboy
> in your home directory. Would copying the gnote database to .tomboy do
> the trick?
Well I can answer at least part of my own question. Although it is not
clear why people are not interested in a note-taking program that can be
synchronized over several machines.

The tomboy database ends up in .local/share in your home directory. The
same directory that the gnote database is in. The synchronization option
indeed appears in tomboy but in a funny way. When you add tomboy to you
panel it is represented by the same icon as gnote.However, as soon as
you click on the  the first icon a second icon appears. They do not have
the same functionality. Only one allows you to evoke the synchronization
function. Copying the gnote database to the tomboy directory , then
logging out and logging in evokes the note manipulating function of
tomboy.

One mystery of how to set up the tomboy synchronization server is still
unknown to me. Since I have tomboy only on one machine, so far, the
question is mute at present.

If someone knows how to do this I would appreciate hearing from them.