Re: Play DVD

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 02:38:06 +0200
Kostas Sfakiotakis <kostassf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/01/2011 06:40 μμ, suvayu ali wrote:
> >  On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 6:39 AM, Jim <binarynut@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Fedora 14 is having some problems reading DVD=/dev/dvd , in VLC I
> > > had to change settings to read DVD=/dev/sr0 to play a movie dvd.
> > >
> > > 'Sometimes' it would play using DVD=/dev/dvd . But it would play
> > > every time setting it to DVD=/dev/sr0
> >
> >  That is how I have read a DVD always!
> >
> >  As for the OP, do you have problems with specific DVDs? What does
> >  "dmesg | tail " say when you insert the DVD?
> >

> Although i don´t have the slightest idea on what are u trying to
> acomplish ,

It should give you an output saying whether the kernel was able to
recognise the DVD. But apparently in your case (and to my surprise, mine
too!) the disk is not recognised. If a DVD is recognised it should
display messages as mentioned in this post[1].

I can positively say I have successfully watched a DVD right before
Christmas (24th of December to be exact). So something changed between
then and now. A possible candidate could be the new kernel as I don't
see any of the usual suspects among the updates during this period (24th
of December to now).

My understanding of a system is rather limited, so I don't how to debug
this issue any further.

[1]
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2010-January/097362.html

--