Re: FIXED Compiling Games Program

This thread has decended into a slightly pointless and certainly
bandwidth stealing argument about Language and spelling, so I thought
I would bring it back onto a computing track:

On 6 January 2011 19:42, Joe Zeff <joe@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> <set mode='oldphart'>
>
> I probably learned how to use language like that long before you were
> born, and certainly before I went to 'Nam.  Show some respect to your
> elders, you young whippersnapper!
>
> </mode>

Technically if you are opening the <set> tag, you need to close it
with </set>. If this is a <mode> tag, then it should have been opened
as something like <mode value="oldphart"> - this XML is much more
invalid than the spelling of voilà and I don't understand how this has
escaped criticism so far.

It's also good practise to:

1) Encapsulate character data in <!CDATA tags, so that the XML parser
doesn't misinterpret special characters:
http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_cdata.asp
2) Define a schema, so we know how elements such as <set> and <mode>
are defined: http://www.w3schools.com/schema/schema_intro.asp

So I think what you really meant was:

<mode xmlns="http://www.yourwebsite.com";
xmlns:xsi="http://www.yourwebsite.com/yournamespace";
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.yourwebsite.com/mode.xsd";
value="oldphart">
<![CDATA[

I probably learned how to use language like that long before you were
born, and certainly before I went to 'Nam.  Show some respect to your
elders, you young whippersnapper!

]]>
</mode>

If it is of any interest at all, I was born in 1980 - i.e. *after* the
Vietnam War. XML was of course born more than a decade after that,
however SGML from which it descended is from some time in the 1970s
and may therefore actually pre-date some of the later parts of this
'Nam of which you speak. Of course, I will know nothing of this
because I am not an American and I can't play the viola and age is so
very important in modern times.

--
Sam