Re: Repairs using Live Media??

On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 20:51 +0000, Beartooth wrote:

> 	Afaict, there is no current xorg.conf, period, on the hard drive
> nor on the live medium; whatever is working must be something else.

Configuration done in memory, only.

There are commands to make X create a configuration file.  If you're
lucky, it'd create the same configuration that it currently uses.  I
haven't done this in years, but the Xorg man file would suggest:

Xorg -configure

I'm guessing you'd probably need to be in a non-graphical environment
for this work.  i.e. Switch virtual terminals with CTRL+ALT+F3.

Tim:
>> Hint:  mount /dev/sd-whatever /mnt

> 	That's probably the thought I'm missing. But there are only five /
> dev/s-whatever files. Two are scd0-1, both symlinks of size 0; the other
> three are sda, sda1, sda2 -- all size 0.
>
> 	Is it going to do any good to mount empty files??

You're not mounting an empty file, those are devices.  Think of them
more as an instruction about what drive you want to access.

The scd ones would be DVD or CD drives.  sda would be the whole drive,
you'd want sda1 or sda2.  You could mount each, in turn, and list the
contents.  If you see what looks like a normal filestructure for Linux,
that'd be the one to use.  One's probably your swap partition, and that
won't mount.

>> Alternatively, copy the xorg log files from the live session to your
>> hard drive, so you can compare them.

> 	None exist, afaict; certainly not in /etc/X11

I tend to look for log files in /var/log/

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.