Re: confused for booting security

On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 11:56 +0100, Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> But if a different password is required, we should enter it above the
> line
>
> title Memtest86+ (2.11)
>
> so that it looks:
>
> password --md5 $differentpassword
>
> title Memtest86+ (2.11)
>        lock
>        root (hd0,1)
>        kernel --type=netbsd /elf-memtest86+-2.11
>
> so that while editing grub through remote place, it is at all not
> possible without entering the password because the password --md5 line
> is above the title line.

I'm fairly sure that you'll have to put the password within the stanza.
It's certainly the expected method, but I can't test whether it's
actually required, unless I reboot at the moment.  And I don't want to
reboot.  I'd expect anything in the middle of them to be presumed to
belong to the end of the previous stanza.

i.e.  I expect it to be done like this:

title Memtest86+ (2.11)
       password --md5 $differentpassword
       lock
       root (hd0,1)
       kernel --type=netbsd /elf-memtest86+-2.11

Options for stanzas are read from within them, top to bottom.  In this
case, the first one sets the password, the second line halts further
processing until the password is entered.  Once entered, it would
process the next two commands.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686