Re: Gnome3 available in F14 to evaluate it.

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 21:27:12 +0000, mike cloaked wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> If you know that it is possible to evaluate the GNOME3 under F14 stop
>> reading here.
>>
>> You can get a look at Gnome3 by doing: yum install gnome-shell
>>
>> Then go to System->Preferences->Desktop Effects and choose GNOME Shell
>>
>> This is described in the February 2010 issue of Linux Journal in an
>> article, "Coming Soon to Linux Desktops", by Charles Olsen. Except he
>> gives you bad advice on how to start the Gnome3 Shell.
>
> Can you suggest minimum hardware needed to run gnome-shell?  Also in f14
> what is 3d support like for nvidia cards and ati cards that will govern
> whether or not gnome shell will work with them?
>
> Is it possible to run gnome-shell with Intel graphics in some, a few, or
> many, cases - and is there a list of the ones that are likely to work?
>
> --
> mike c

I ran it briefly on the following system:

2.6 GHz P4
1.5 GB memory
7600GS AGPx4 512 MB NVidia card (overclocked)
NVidia 260.19.29 binary blob drivers
Samsung 22 inch 1680x1050 native resolution

The performance was tolerable (I guess). I couldn't really tell since I
spent most of my time trying to find the applications I was interested in.

I ran Google Chrome, and that was about it. Mutter crashed on going back
to Compiz, but I was able to revert to Compiz on the second attempt.

I may spend some time with it later, but I've already made some comments
on it when first announced. Basically, finding applications (especially
for software pack rats like me) in the Gnome shell interface is pretty
impossible. I had to resort to "Find Applications" in order to work.

Also, if you have multiple versions (like NetBeans for example) of
packages installed then distinguishing them is a bit problematic.

While I'm typing this in Gnome and Pan, I spend most of my time in either
WindowManager (for performance) or KDE (for eye candy). Despite some
interface design issues (forcing two motions to select software), I
prefer KDE 4.x to the current Gnome.

I'll explore the Gnome shell a bit more, but right now I definitely
prefer WindowManager for getting work done (shell, browser, NetBeans,
Tomcat, system monitor, mail, music) and KDE for lighter tasks.

. . . . just my two cents
/mde/