Re: NetworkManager won't become "active"

On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 17:04 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 01/08/2011 04:48 PM, Alex wrote:
> > Yes, it has worked before. The problem is that firefox (at least,
> > likely other apps too) starts in "offline" mode unless it detects
> > NetworkManager in some way as being active.
>
> I find that a tad hard to believe.  I have NetworkManager disabled on
> this box (Running F13) because I find the network service more reliable
> and Firefox never has any problem starting in online mode.

Believe it. Having it disabled is not the same as having it
misconfigured. If it's enabled but misconfigured (or simply not
configured at all for a specific interface) then it is definitely true
that some apps (Evolution being probably the best-known example but
AFAIK also Firefox) which will assume the system is offline. This is
well-attested by multiple observers :-)

poc