Re: NetworkManager won't become "active"

Hi,

> Jan  8 17:56:08 alex NetworkManager[18096]:    ifcfg-rh: parsing
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0 ...
> Jan  8 17:56:08 alex NetworkManager[18096]:    ifcfg-rh:     error:
> Bridge connections are not yet supported
>
> Has it worked before with network-manager?
> I think you should try to work with network service instead

Yes, it has worked before. The problem is that firefox (at least,
likely other apps too) starts in "offline" mode unless it detects
NetworkManager in some way as being active.

Dave Stevens wrote:

> I had this problem recently after updates to F14 and lost sleep over it until I discovered that
> for some reason network manager wasn't starting automatically. I still don't know why but as
> root try "service NetworkManager restart" and see if this enables you to activate the eth0 (note
> the capitalization in the service name)

Yes, tried this several times, and multiple variations of disabling
the "network" service then enabling it, starting and restarting it,
combined with enabling and disabling NetworkManager service and
stopping and restarting it.

It's some combination of those services working together that causes
this to work, and apparently only that specific combination, afaik.

Does anyone know how udev works with all this, and persistent connections?

Thanks,
Alex