Re: Gnome3 available in F14 to evaluate it.

On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 21:27 +0000, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If you know that it is possible to evaluate the GNOME3 under F14 stop
> > reading here.
> >
> > You can get a look at Gnome3 by doing:
> > yum install gnome-shell
> >
> > Then go to System->Preferences->Desktop Effects and choose GNOME Shell
> >
> > This is described in the February 2010 issue of Linux Journal in an
> > article, "Coming Soon to Linux Desktops", by Charles Olsen. Except he
> > gives you bad advice on how to start the Gnome3 Shell.
>
> Can you suggest minimum hardware needed to run gnome-shell?  Also in
> f14 what is 3d support like for nvidia cards and ati cards that will
> govern whether or not gnome shell will work with them?
>
> Is it possible to run gnome-shell with Intel graphics in some, a few,
> or many, cases - and is there a list of the ones that are likely to
> work?

I am afraid I don't know any of the answers to your questions. In fact I
am a little disturbed by the radical change in desktop functionality
that Gnome3 will necessitate. It will be hard to make te transition
without sone additional instructions. I am going to try to post the
Linux Journal article but it may take another few days.

I posted the above information now so people will have time to scream
before the change is upon us. Some of the changes are really radical.