Printing directly on DVD

Does anybody know how to print directly onto printable DVD media? I
have a HP printer with a tray specifically for holding the media. I've
tried everything I can think to actually print onto the disk.

I've tried various-sized images in GIMP. The closest that I've come is
having the printer complain that the "disk doesn't match the size
selected." I don't see any way select a different size.

I looked at glabels, but it seems very oriented toward printing onto
labels and covers, with no templates for printing directly onto the
DVD that I can find.

I'm sure that *somebody* has done this. What's the secret?

-Alan