Re: computer-center-extra is no longer with us in F14

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 09:12:08 -0600, Aaron wrote:

> > What I'm telling you is that the temporarily separated [sub-]package has
> > been merged back into its control-center base package during F14
> > development. You want proof? Here's some history:
> >
> > Information for RPM control-center-extra-1:2.30.1-3.fc13.i686.rpm
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=2138356
> >
> > Information for RPM control-center-extra-1:2.30.1-2.fc14.i686.rpm
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=1971152
> >
> > No -extra package anymore and no "Obsoletes" tag yet:
> > Information for build control-center-2.31.2-2.fc14
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=176146
> >
> > "Obsoletes" tag added, but no gnome-window-properties tool anymore:
> > Information for RPM control-center-1:2.31.2-3.fc14.i686.rpm
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=2002938
> >
> > gnome-window-properties are back:
> > Information for RPM control-center-1:2.31.6-1.fc14.i686.rpm
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=2108046
>
> I think we are what could be called a semantic disagreement.

Are we? I don't think so.

> There is not a control-center-extra rpm installable in F14.

Correct. That's what the RPM "Obsoletes" tag shows as I've demonstrated.
In F14, package control-center obsoletes package control-center-extra.
In other words, it replaces the control-center-extra package.
The RPM semantics are clear. One package replaces another if it provides
exactly the same stuff or similar stuff that is supposed to replace the
previous functionality.

> If you run : yum install control-center-extra
>
> yum responds with:
> Package 1:control-center-2.32.0-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
> version
> Nothing to do
>
> Which is consistent with an interpretation of the postings you sent me
> that the functionality of control-center-extra has been incorporated in
> the rpm control-center.
>
> Do you think it means something different?
>
> In any case you can't run System->Preferences->Windows on your machine
> if you have chosen to use compiz.

Well, you can run it, but it complains with an error dialog.

> So that the option to choose a window
> when you move the mouse over it, is not directly available when using
> compiz and that was really my point.

In _this_ thread and with this subject line?

| From: Aaron Konstam  akonstam sbcglobal net
| Subject: computer-center-extra is no longer with us in F14
| Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 13:02:30 -0600
|
| Well for the computer-center-extra discussion. See link.
|
| http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=23

A bad link and no reference to any other "discussion". Only temporarily
one either had to install the separate control-center-extra package _or_
(during the short period that the extra package was not available at all)
use gconftool to alter the window preferences.

So, what are _you_ trying to point out?