Re: terminal bell pc speaker

Once upon a time, Paul Smith <phhs80@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> > AFAIK there is no way to get the PC speaker to beep anymore in X; the
> > PulseAudio author decided nobody should use that anymore.  The best you
> > can do is enable the alert sound effect, assuming you have a sound
> > device in the computer and speakers connected.
>
> Why has PulseAudio author decided so?

I guess because he didn't like the PC speaker and felt he knows best
about what everybody should use.

This thread caused me to go look again to see if anything had changed.
There's a long ticket in the Ubuntu tracker about it, and it seems that
if you switch to the compiz window manager (enable Desktop Effects) and
load the pcspkr module, you can get the traditional beep back.

However, I'm getting a corrupted display with that (and don't have time
to diagnose it), so it doesn't help me much.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>