Re: ipv6 question

On 01/02/2011 06:33 PM, Dave Ihnat wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 06:19:48PM -0500, Genes MailLists wrote:
>>  This issue must have a simple solution surely noone would design a
>> spanking new world and then make it hard for a not uncommon situation
>> (new isp) ?
>
> Well, think again.  There are reasons people are dragging their feet
> going to IPv6.
>
> Frankly, I don't expect most, if any, internal LANs to cut over to IPv6.
> There's no reason or point, and a lot of headaches.  Instead, it should
> become the standard *outside* your router/firewall, and you can stay
> with IPv4 inside.
>
> Probably the simplest approach is to use a router appliance that groks
> IPv6 for the WAN, and IPv4 for the LAN.  On a Linux system, if you want
> it to be your firewall--and a lot of us are hard-headed enough to do
> so--I'd put in two NICs and use only the outward-facing NIC for IPv6,
> confguring the internal for IPv4.

 Thanks for your thoughts ... I was slowly coming to exactly that
solution ...

  Then I think you're saying NAT is here to stay .. in which case how
exactly on a linux border firewall with internal ip4 and external ip6
does one NAT ?

  Do we build a ip4 NAT to ip4 - and then route that nat'ed ip4 to ip6 ?