Re: Let's talk about yum and p2p in Fedora

--- 夜神 岩男 <supergiantpotato@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --- S Mathias <smathias1972@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Are there any active project about it?
> >
> > like:
> > http://www.camrdale.org/apt-p2p/
> > for Debian.
> >
> > Why doesn't it have viability? Why does it have?
> >
> > What are the security issues regarding it?
>
> So long as it is easily configurable for the
> user/admin
> (many of my Gnome installations are in the office,
> and I
> wouldn't want them all responding to p2p requests
> through
> my network, for example) this would be a good idea.
>
> A natural evolution of what happened with git...
>
> -Iwao

I failed to remark that *forced* updates, of any kind, are
wrong. Just bad wrong. Always.

What I meant above was that a p2p storage and distribution
model makes good sense and should be explored. After all,
several of us have implemented local repositories to speed
things for similar reasons -- why not extend that speed to
the rest of the neighborhood (so to speak).

The activity of distributing package data can be separated
from the actual update action -- so there is no reason to
force updates. I can serve update package data I don't
have installed.

-Iwao