how to wake up sleeping monitor using batch script/command

Dear folks,

I have a Flat Panel Monitor with built in speakers.  If the monitor is on(not sleeping), the speakers work.  When the Monitor goes to sleep, the speakers no longer work :(, I have a cron job that plays music in the morning, but since the monitor is sleeping the music does not play :(

I tried adding a command to wake up the monitor like
48 04 * * 1-5 sleep 2; xset dpms force on > /dev/null 2&>1

but the monitor does not wake up :(, I tried using variations like
xset -dpms

and

xset +dpms

and force on, force off to no avail.  I sent a message to list, on how the crontab job was set and the script itself, but it has not made it to list, or was deleted?  If you get a double post, please accept my apologies in advance, don't know how to blame, users* list or yahoo mail^{1}.

Regards,

Antonio

{1} yes poc and others, yahoo mail sucks, but being on it for a great while makes it hard to be apart from it :(, I go back to classic profile when using linux, since on windblows, the new yahoo mail does not do a good job of quoting and throws message replies to /dev/null in many cases, and threading sucks like Rahul says :)