smartctl reports bad sectors, badblocks does not find any

I did the stupidest thing I could as to forget that I was running on
battery while installing FreeBSD on a free (1st) partition. and I found
the laptop shutting down when it was too late.

After this event smartctl consistently reports Read Failure starting on
LBA 26203589, Current_Pending_Sector 1, and Offline_Uncorrectable 4.
This block is within partition in question. Thus I know I damaged hdd
within its boundries.

Simply formating this partition certainly did not help.

I've run dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 both starting with the reported LBA
and then on the entire partition. And I still have same report from
smartctl

I run badblocks on the partition firs in non-destructive and then in
destructive (read/write) mode in both cases badblocks reported 0 errors.
But smartctl still gives me the same report.

In all the cases I run smartctl -t offline /dev/sda1 just to ensure
smartctl updates its data before I run final smartctl -A /dev/sda

Any suggestions folks? It drives me crazy. I'm fighting it 2 days for now.