OS linux

I am a student of computer science  .
Now we are learning   the design of OS  . We  study  Unix  and do some
homework on  linux .

I know some good books about with  OS  . May you guys can suggest more
  What i want to know  now    is  how to build a small OS (every
things  is done  by myself   or  I should know how   a  OS  can be
install  and  run  and  manager the memory  and make programs
concurrent )

I know bochs can helps me do this  .
However i don't know how to begin .
We learn some theory  . But how theory can be achieved

I know  write OS is a big engineer . I just want to  get a real small
OS may be  small linux or some like linux . Let may help me understand
linux  or OS  better  .
I also assume you can understand my words

thank you