Re: About programing, a general question

Tim:
>> Did you actually read the card?

   http://i55.tinypic.com/2whp10j.jpg

Parshwa Murdia:
> I first saw that and then tries, ultimately could not. Seems great as
> how wonderful the technology has become!

Punch cards, including the ones drawn on in lead pencil, are the
ultimate long term storage device.  It requires no special machinery to
be read, it can be done by eye, and machinery can be built to read cards
when the original isn't available.  That's not something so easily done
with old magnetic or laser optical media.

When the lead pencil dots are drawn above and below a character, it's to
mark the character between them.  When they're drawn on a character,
they mark the character that they're drawn on.  I think the JPEG has
enough resolution to be readable.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686