Re: About programing, a general question

On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 12:25 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/22/2010 12:08 PM, Matt Smith wrote:
> > I have to disagree, if utilized properly managing memory, optimizing
> > the cache, etc is very possible with c++ and can absolutely work well
> > in a high performance environment
>
> <set mode="oldphart">
>
> If you can't do what's needed in FORTRAN, you can't do it.  Back in the
> early '80s, I was working with Dan Alderson at JPL.  We were doing work
> with structures and pointer arithmetic, in FORTRAN77 because it was a
> subroutine and function package to be used in other FORTRAN programs so
> we couldn't use Dan's favorite language, PL/1.  Those of you who think
> you can't do things like that in FORTRAN would do well to ponder the
> fact that Jerry Pournelle has called Dan "the sane genius."
>
> </mode>

Bah.  Real Programmers don't use FORTRAN, either!

http://johnreece.com/wordpress/2006/07/10/real-programmers-dont-use-fortran-either/

(I was but a tyke in those days, but my dad worked for Royal around the
time this legend takes place.  He used to have publicity fliers for
these machines lying around in his den that I poked through.  I don't
think he knew Mel.  My programming days began with PDP-8s and S/370s,
FORTRAN and PL/I.  And IBM 024 keypunch program cards.)

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu