Re: About programing, a general question

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:42:47 -0500
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Basically, C++ is not going to work well in a high performance
> computing environment. Templates and inheritance have their place. In
> essence C++ and other OOP models should be designed. While that goes
> for all code, a poorly designed C++ system could certainly have
> issues. But, I don't want to get into the benefits of any one
> language. I've had to work with classes that were not properly
> designed to where I had to write a base class and take the existing
> class and inherit from the new base so that the existing code would
> work.

That depends. Normally in high performance computing one spends 99% of
the time in 1% of the code. And the performance intensive bits can
often be optimized by hand...

Traditionally high performance computing programs have been written in
Fortran, then some C, but nowadays many of the new codes are C++,
simply because OOP makes it a *lot* faster to develop a bug-free code..
A lot of people still use Fortran (>= 90) for new codes as well,
though..
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor