Re: About programing, a general question

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 11:48 PM, Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

There is considerable more overhead in compiling a C++ program. I would
probably guess that FORTRAN would win. Another issue is optimization.
Optimization can make major differences. On some RISC platforms we not
only used compiler optimization, but also took the output from the
compiler and based upon some of the hardware latency specifications,
would reorder the resultant code. Today, many CPUs do this automatically.
In any case when writing any code, state your goals ahead of time. I
tend to like to write my code with an emphasis on readability and
correctness. Once the code is working, I can run a performance analysis
to see the places in the code things are slowing down.

--
Jerry Feldman

'Inside a program talk'!

--