Re: About programing, a general question

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 13:54 -0500, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On 12/21/2010 01:16 PM, William Case wrote
> > I am not a programmer, but I wanted the answer you seem to want.  How
> > does the damn thing work?  More explicitly:
> >
> > How does human understandable information get converted by a machine
> > into electrical data; then store it; may or may not, transform, compare,
> > and/or relocate the data; and then re-present the data as information
> > meaningful to humans?
> >
> > I found the answer in "The C Programming Language" by Brian W. Kernighan
> > and Dennis M. Ritchie.  This book is such a basic that it is often
> > referred to just as K&R.  If you try to simply use this book as a
> > tutorial for the C language it is too difficult.  Almost every sentence
> > contains a new concept.  But K&R and 'C' are closest to the metal.  It's
> > description and particularly its appendices are used by programmers
> > mainly as a reference.  It really is a text on how to best write code so
> > that the compiler can use your 'C' code by translating it into machine
> > language. It is also, therefore, basic instructions for compiler writers
> > on how they have writer their compilers.
> >
> > A big however!  I found that when I took my time, and worked each new
> > concept through, with liberal use of google and some tutorial sites,
> > with some contemplation on my part, with some reference to the the basic
> > electrical properties of transistors, capacitors, Direct Current and
> > crystals, I was able to come to a fairly complete (or at least useful)
> > understanding of how my computer worked and what the text instructions
> > that I was imputing were doing.
> >
> > In addition, I spent a couple of afternoons exploring assembly language
> > and the IS-32 instruction set.  Looking at how compilers work, and how
> > they translate your text code into machine code (the '1' and '0's you
> > mentioned) from libraries makes the need for precise instructions (text
> > syntax) clear and less of a burden.
> >
> > I found that by using K&R as a course outline rather than a final all
> > knowing, all teaching, tutorial book I was able to drill to the bottom
> > of everything that was happening inside my computer.
> >
> > If you, like me, look for those Eureka! moments in life, you will find
> > exploring the capabilities of your computer through the 'C' language is
> > a wonderful voyage of discovery.  The ingenuity and creativity over the
> > last 50 years that has gone into making the metal, the electricity, and
> > the programming of a computer is truly a marvel.
> >
> > If this is the kind of approach that you are interested in respond to
> > this post, and I will give you some hints and tricks about uncovering
> > the programming process.  If I happen to steer you wrong, I am sure
> > there are lots of people on this list who will jump in with corrections.
> >
> I learned C from K&R, from the tutorial that was included with Unix, and
> the fact that I was told I had to maintain the Unix CShell. Fortunately
> at the time I knew a number of languages including IBM 360/370,
> [...]
But as I recall, the alpha had some vector extensions and bytecoding
extensions that enabled faster indexing, which is why it ran faster with
indexed arrays ;-)

And as to representation, if you go to assembly language the choice of
octal or hex is often based upon the instruction declination of the
processor.  For example the 8080 was octal, because the first 2 bits had
a specific segmentation of the instruction set, the next three could
choose a register or memory and the final three would make a choice
based upon the other two groups.

In the 6800 and later motorola processors, the representation was hex,
reflecting a broader register base and larger instruction flexibility.

Now that we have 64 bit processors, and multiple cores, the next step
will be a supervisor for the cores and then a new partitioning of the
instruction word, and I expect a new notation, probably 64 base of some
kind, because it will reflect the new reality of the core processors and
their inherent capabilities.

Regards,
Les H