Re: About programing, a general question

On 12/21/10 6:18 PM, Matt Smith wrote:
> On 12/21/10, James McKenzie<jjmckenzie51@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>> On 12/21/10 1:46 PM, Parshwa Murdia wrote:
>>> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:46 PM, William Case<billlinux@xxxxxxxxxx
>>> <mailto:billlinux@xxxxxxxxxx>>  wrote:
>>>
>>>      I am not a programmer, but I wanted the answer you seem to want.  How
>>>      does the damn thing work?  More explicitly:
>>>
>>>      How does human understandable information get converted by a machine
>>>      into electrical data; then store it; may or may not, transform,
>>>      compare,
>>>      and/or relocate the data; and then re-present the data as information
>>>      meaningful to humans?
>>>
>>>      I found the answer in "The C Programming Language" by Brian W.
>>>      Kernighan
>>>      and Dennis M. Ritchie.  This book is such a basic that it is often
>>>      referred to just as K&R.  If you try to simply use this book as a
>>>      tutorial for the C language it is too difficult.  Almost every
>>>      sentence
>>>      contains a new concept.  But K&R and 'C' are closest to the metal.
>>>       It's
>>>      description and particularly its appendices are used by programmers
>>>      mainly as a reference.  It really is a text on how to best write
>>>      code so
>>>      that the compiler can use your 'C' code by translating it into machine
>>>      language. It is also, therefore, basic instructions for compiler
>>>      writers
>>>      on how they have writer their compilers.
>>>

>>> Sure, how to get this book? Is it available online somewhere?
>> Not legally, anywhere.  However, the Second Edition is available from
>> Amazon and other book retailers.  It is not very expensive.  It would
>> cost me more to mail you the extra copy I have to you than it would be
>> to buy it (even in the United States.)
>>
>> James McKenzie
>>
>> --
>>

> Can we please get c++ involved in the discussion, it runs circles
> around C on all levels..

How?  This is for a BEGINNER programmer who wants to learn about proper
structures and other programming 'stuff'.

Yes, once you learn PROPER programming, you can and should move onto
Object Oriented Programming.  For this, I HIGHLY recommend learning
Java, not C++.  Write once, run anywhere (just about.)  C++ is write
once, compile a dozen times, fix hundreds of 'bugs'.  You end up with
twelve different executables and possibly dozens of software versions.

James McKenzie