Re: A very simple query

On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 12:15 -0500, Robert Myers wrote:
> Information about Linux gets out of date so fast that I have taken to
> adding 2008 OR 2009 OR 2010 to all my Google queries about Linux.  The
> problem is not confined to Fedora.

Though, the basic concepts behind things, still remain the same.  A good
book, not just one reprinting the man page without further explanation,
can help with this.

e.g. If you were going to set up a name server, it helps to read
something that explains what the records are, and how the information is
used.  /Then/ you learn about how to configure the particular server
software that you're going to play with.

The same goes for lots of other servers (HTTP, LDAP, whatever).  Reading
about, and learning, the *concept* is something that a good book is
still useful for.

There are plenty of things where following a dumb how-to recipe isn't
really a good idea.  DNS and mail serving are two of them.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.