Re: samba shares visibility in vista and windows 7

On Sat, 2010-12-18 at 10:12 -0700, dave perry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an f14 samba file server with several f14 work stations and a
> vista notebook and a win7 desktop.
>
> On my f14 systems, if I go to Places > Network, It displays all the
> shares on all the systems except for homes for the f14 server and other
> f14 systems.  If I go to Places > Connect to Server ... and select
> Service type Windows Share, type my server name, Share: homes, User
> Name: <username> and click on Connect, after authentication I see my
> home directory on the server.
>
> On either vista or win7, Network does not display any smb shares.  But
> again, I can manually mount any smb shares as network drives using
> C:\> net use m: \\servername\share_name.
>
> Here is a copy of output from testparm smb.conf for the server:
>
> $ testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
> Processing section "[homes]"
> Processing section "[printers]"
> Processing section "[smbshare]"
> Processing section "[public]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
>
> [global]
>      workgroup = MYGROUP
>      server string = Numenor Samba Server Version %v
>      obey pam restrictions = Yes
>      pam password change = Yes
>      passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>      passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password*
> %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
>      unix password sync = Yes
>      log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>      max log size = 0
>      socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192m
>      printcap name = cups
>      dns proxy = No
>      remote announce = 192.168.1.255
>      hosts allow = 127., 192.168.1.
>
> [homes]
>      comment = Home Directories
>      valid users = %S
>      read only = No
>      create mask = 0664
>      directory mask = 0775
>      browseable = No
>
> [printers]
>      comment = All Printers
>      path = /var/spool/samba
>      printable = Yes
>      browseable = No
> [smbshare]
>      comment = Shared Files
>      path = /home/smbshare
>      valid users = dad, perryd, mom, Dave, Dianne
>      read only = No
>      create mask = 0664
>      directory mask = 0775
>
> [public]
>      comment = Public Stuff
>      path = /home/test
>      valid users = mom, dad, perryd, Dave, Dianne
>      read only = No
>      create mask = 0664
>      directory mask = 0775
>      guest ok = Yes
>
> Any suggestions?

> [...]
----
traditionally 'HOMES', 'PROFILES' shares are not visible and thus, your
setting 'Browseable = No' would be normal for the 'HOMES' share.

if you want the Windows systems to be able to locate the other systems
just by browsing the network, you should make them all belong to the
same 'Workgroup' (this system is MYGROUP and Windows default is
MSHOME... make them all the same).

Craig

believed to be clean.