Re: Upgrading : give me strength ...

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:43:37 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
	[....]
> How about this:
> - mount a USB drive
> - copy /boot to the drive
> - remount the USB as /boot in fstab
> - upgrade
> - do the obvious reversal of the process

	I *like* this idea -- and apologize for not discovering it till
now. But the latter half is Geek to me: what I know about fstab is how to
spell it. And the man page is totally opaque, depending as usual on
umpteen other things I can't even spell. I gather it's a plain text file,
and I think the one I need is /etc/fstab; I presume I edit it somehow.

	Konqueror (which I run, under Gnome, almost entirely because it
makes man pages so much more legible than my command line on a terminal)
finds no man page for "remount". I presume I just do umount and -- what?
The man pages jump from mergecap to multi (and from remap_file_pages to
remque). How do I (re)mount something *in* a file??

	As for your  last line: obvious to whom? Has anyone recounted the
classic definition of "obvious" here lately? The one about the Nobel
laureate teaching postdocs?