F14 boot hangs on atd -- temptation to suppuku

	My oldest PC (an inherited Dell PowerEdge SC1420, remodeled by a
friend who speaks hardware, to run without RAID, serving as live storage
and emergency backup) boots as far as "starting atd" (which says OK), and
hangs. What comes after atd, or should?? And why launch atd anyhow?
According to the man page, it should have been swallowed up in cron long
since.

	Anyway, I suspect the real trouble is misrecognition of the
monitor. That's an HP w2207h, at 1680x1050; but xrandr reports 800x480.

	livna-config-display (which I happened to stumble on, whatever it
is) seems to tell me the F14 install lacks nvidia -- though I have both
rpmfusion repos enabled.

	Running gpk under ssh -Y from another machine on the LAN, and
searching nvidia, finds a long list of modules. Trying to install them
all tells me it gets a lot of conflicts with 96xx and 173xx; I go back
and remove them -- which takes some doing.

	Then I get errors because something I checked is older than
something already installed. (Remember something earlier told me I had
*no* nvidia. Some of the attempts that appeared to fail must have done
good things while I wasn't looking, maybe ...)

	Finally, finally, a gpk-application does complete. I close it,
and tell the beleagured old machine to reboot. It gets to starting atd,
calls  that OK -- and hangs.

	Is there a way to kill yourself electronically, all at once, and
get it over with??