Re: Damn these Windows Virus Testers - Online

On 12/18/2010 11:29 AM, Frank Cox wrote:
> I have no idea what a Windows Virus Test is or how it's relevant to Linux, but
> if it's some kind of a automated advertisement or something similar to that

It's an attempt to trick you into installing malware.  Not only does it
always find "infections," even if you try to close the download box or
click on Cancel, it starts the download.  Of course, it's all Windows
specific and Firefox (well, my copy, at least) won't run any program
without asking, but getting rid of it can be a problem.

Try this: close Firefox, then use Ctrl-F2 to bring up a command line and
type in the url of your home page.  This should open Firefox without
going back to the attack site.