Re: Game suggestions from the over sixty crowd?!?

On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 07:49 -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Gilboa Davara <gilboad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Sorry to ask you to do something right after taking it over but I
> >> tried it out and I can't login to the official server from
> >> spring-lobby since the current version in the repo is 0.82.5 and it
> >> requires 0.82.6...
> >>
> >> Richard
> >
> > Took me ~2h to release spring 0.82.6.1 and springlobby 116.
> > Both should be landing in updates testing later (?) today. (Until they
> > land, you can download them from [1,2])
> > Keep in mind that some people found that the latest springlobby breaks
> > map download; I have yet to investigate it further.
> >
> > - Gilboa
> > [1] Spring (Use the "build" link):
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/spring-0.82.6.1-1.fc13
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/spring-0.82.6.1-1.fc14
> > [2] Spring lobby (Use the "build" link):
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/springlobby-0.116-1.fc13
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/springlobby-0.116-1.fc14
>
> By the time I got around to it I was able to get the packages from
> updates-testing. The sever no longer complains about the version but I
> have another issue, though admittedly the issue could be me, but I
> don't find the interface terribly intuitive.
>
> I registered successfully and it doesn't complain when I try to login
> but the status on the bottom right always says I'm disconnected from
> the server and the "Mods" drop down under Single Player is always
> empty even though the help tells you to pick a mod first then a map. I
> can change to the other tabs like chat and see where it seemed to log
> on briefly since there the standard IRC looking stuff.
>
> Richard

Hello Richard,

I'm answering this directory to the -users ML, so people facing the same
problems (in the future) can follow these instruction.

Springlobby:
Springlobby is the spring-rts engine front end. It's being used to
initiate both single and multi-play games.
It can also be used to download maps and modifications.
In-order to use it, first select "Server -> Connect" and create a
user/password login. Once the login is successful, you will be able to
use the "Battlelist" tab to see on-line games and join them.

Important note: The springlobby is also used to configure the spring
engine (display, 3D quality, sound, etc). Select Edit -> Spring settings
to configure the engine.

Side note:
I've just release a new version of the game lobby (the program that's
being used to download maps and mods and connect you to single and
multi-player games).
This version fixes a number of bugs (including broken map download).
Download it from here.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/springlobby-0.118-1.fc14
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/springlobby-0.118-1.fc13

Modifications:
The spring-rts itself is not a game, it's an empty game engine, in-order
to start playing to you need to download games, or modification.
There are two ways to download modifications:
1. On-line, using the springlobby.
2. Off-line, using rapid (preferable method).
3. Off-line, using springfiles.com.
http://springfiles.com/

In-order to download modification on-line, login, and them switch to the
"Battlelist" tab. In the games list, you'll see a list of server, each
with the current modification and map being used. If the modification /
map doesn't exist in your installation, an "x" will appear to the left
of its name. Right click -> Download mod/map will download the
modification or map.

Due to the constant development state of most spring-rts modifications
the easiest way to install mods, is using rapid-springs.
Please follow these instruction:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/rapid-spring

Once you've download it, you can select which modification you by
looking at this page:
http://springrts.com/wiki/Games
(With my favorite being Supreme Annihilation, which is based around
Balance Annihilation)
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=17380

In my case, I'm using rapid to install the following mods:
$ rapid list-pinned-tags
Using data directory: /home/gilboa/.spring
Pinned tags:
  ba:latest         (Balanced Annihilation V7.19)
  ca:test           (Complete Annihilation test-8610)
  sa:latest         (Supreme Annihilation U75 V1.0)

Maps:
There are two ways to download maps:
1. On-line, using the springlobby.
2. Off-line, using springfiles.com.
http://springfiles.com/

Starting a game:
Once you are done download maps and games, you start playing, either
on-line (by select a game in the BattleList tab) or off-line (By
selecting the Singleplayer tab, selecting a map from the map list-box,
selecting a mod from the mod list-box and adding and placing a number of
computer AI opponents using the "Add bot" button).

Hope I helps,
- Gilboa