Re: Package managers

On Thursday, December 16, 2010 11:11:03 am Temlakos wrote:
> This isn't totally academic. I also administer a Web server, and I find
> that a command-line interface is the only way that I can do any kind of
> installation or upgrade. (I have to connect using secure-shell.) Might
> as well learn how to do it in that context...

Both kpackagekit and GNOME PackageKit run well through an ssh-tunneled X session or through NX.

Some of the nicer GUI utilities for system administration on F14 run well through 'ssh -Y' as well; virtually the whole 'system-config-*' collection, as well as the palimpsest Disk Utility.  The palimpsest utility, in particular, does a whole slew of things that takes multipe CLI utilities to do, and gives you lots of great information in a single window.

While I use CLI (and I've used it for more than 20 years on different Unix and unixlike system) for many things, especially on slow connections, there are a few cases where the GUI is easier, as long as you have a relatively fast connection.  SELinux configuration, for instance, is much much easier through the GUI, as all the options are right there and listed.  Unless you have all of them memorized.... :-)