Re: Dual booting problem

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 17:12:57 +0000
Peter Moule <petermoule2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> O.S. So I decided to try Fedora 14.I downloaded the live disc ,burnt to
> C D and installed it on my Asus 1000 netbook.
> My 160 gb. hard drive now looks like this:
>   sda1(18 gb) Mandriva 2010,sda5(19 gb) Fedora 14,sda6(3.6 gb)
> swap,sda7(106 gb) home.
>
> But Fedora 14 does not appear on the boot menu,all I have there
> is:Mandriva 2010,Mandriva (safe mode) and desktop 2.6.33-7.
> My neighbour (and mentor) David Pipe did some research and found this
> ;http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/grub-menu-lst-for-fedora-and-mandrake-dual-boot-301328/.But
> has not yet worked out wether we can use this to solve the problem.
> Anyone else have any ideas?Help will be much appreciated.

If it isn't in the boot menu, you probably installed grub to the /boot partition of the Fedora
installation.  You need to add an entry to the menu.lst of the grub for mandrake that points to
that boot partition.  Here is an example

title Fedora 14 configfile
        root (hd0,4)
        configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

This root should work for your layout above if the boot is part of / rather than separate for
Fedora. This will bring up a second menu of boot options for F14 only when you select it.  That is,
you will first see the boot menu for Mandriva, then when you select the above entry, you will see
the menu for Fedora.

If it doesn't work, please post the contents of your mandriva /boot/grub/menu.lst file, and, if
possible, the output of fdisk -l (it will list your partition table).