Re: Still having problems with mount of USB drive at boot time

> This is for Fedora 12 and a 1.5Tb USB seagate drive.
>
> How do I get this drive recognixzed at boot time?  Once it is set up it
> is known as:
>
> /media/d4ae05a3-c60f-489d-8159-e16c9a271f0b

Caution: I am on Fedora 14.
I can't remember if the following is true for Fedora 12.
I believe the following is true for Fedora 13.

When the disk is on and plugged in, does an entry for it appear in
ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid

What I have done is the following:
1) In my /etc/fstab I have
   (following is all one line, forgive the line wrap)
UUID=90de18a5-489b-40bd-85a4-9a2ff3a15d81 /media/wd      ext2   noauto
    0 0

2) When I turn on my USB disk, the following appears:
   ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/90de*
rsewill@rsewill:~ <2:6> $ ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/90de*
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Dec 15 01:42
/dev/disk/by-uuid/90de18a5-489b-40bd-85a4-9a2ff3a15d81 -> ../../sdf1

It appears I can use UUID=name where name is found in /dev/disk/by-uuid
in my /etc/fstab file.

3) I do, sudo mount /media/wd
   Please note: I have my /etc/sudoers file set up so I can do
   sudo mount ....
   As root, one edits the /etc/sudoers file using the visudo command
   to set up what user can do what with the sudo command.

Similarly, I believe I can use LABEL=label for the disk if it appears in
/dev/disk/by-label.  I have a walkman which I have labeled, WALKMAN.
My fstab entry for it is as follows:
  (following is all one line, forgive the line wrap)
LABEL=WALKMAN           /media/walkman                   vfat
noauto,user 0 0

The entry, when the walkman is plugged in, in /dev/disk/by-label is
rsewill@rsewill:~ <2:11> $ ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/WALKMAN
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Dec 15 01:47 /dev/disk/by-label/WALKMAN ->
../../sdg1

I can mount my walkman, as a normal user, because of the "user" option
in the /etc/fstab file.
mount /media/walkman

I use "noauto" or "noauto,user" so I can control when the device is
mounted.  I mount these devices manually.

Please see "man 8 mount" for the definitions of these options,
noauto, user, defaults.

I assume, since you say you want it mounted automatically,
and I assume at boot time, you will not want the "noauto" option.

Would you, instead, use the "defaults" option instead of "noauto"?

If the device is not turned on during boot, with the "defaults" option,
I'm not sure what will happen.  I expect the system to wait a long time
and/or hang waiting for the device to appear.