Re: 3 name server questions

On Tuesday, December 14, 2010 03:21:57 pm S Mathias wrote:
> 1) where does a local caching-nameserver get's it's information, about dns?
>
> cat /etc/resolv.conf
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> nameserver 8.8.8.8

The caching nameserver won't use /etc/resolv.conf as far as I know. The way a
caching nameserver finds about domain names is by asking the internet root
servers.  When you configure your caching ns you need to create a zone of type
"hint" which will usually point to a file that contains the 13 root servers.

I recommend you spend some time trying to understand how the DNS system works
before actually tryng to work with any implementation.

> so if i want information about foo.com, then if it's not cached, i ask the
> local caching-dns-server. it doesn't know, what is foo.com. so what does
> it do? it asks the second name server? the 8.8.8.8?

No. Check above answer.

> 2) i just can't find where could i set that what is the largest cache size
> of the local dns server.

Do a Google search on:  bind max-cache-size

> 3) can i flush the dns cache? restart named?

rndc flush

--
Jorge