Re: preupgrade problem on X86_64

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 15:26:58 +1100
L <yuanlux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, I can access fedora mirror repo via web broweser
>
> here is command line output during preupgrade process
>
> preupgrade
> Loaded plugins: blacklist, fs-snapshot, local,
> post-transaction-actions, : priorities, protectbase,
> refresh-updatesd, upgrade-helper, : versionlock, whiteout

This is valuable.  I think you should disable some (all) of these
plugins until after you have preupgraded.  Just in case.  You will find
the configuration files in /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/  Edit them and turn
them off individually or edit /etc/yum.conf and set plugins=0 instead of
plugins=1.  When you are finished preupgrading, you can turn them back
on if you want.

> Detected in-progress upgrade to Fedora 14 (Laughlin)
> preupgrade-main (mirrorlist)
>   url:
> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-14&arch=$basearch
> now:
> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-14&arch=x86_64
> preupgrade (mirrorlist) url:
> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?path=pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Fedora/$basearch/os
> now:
> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?path=pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Fedora/x86_64/os
> preupgrade-Dropbox (baseurl) url: http://linux.dropbox.com/fedora/14/
> now: http://linux.dropbox.com/fedora/14/ unknown metadata being
> downloaded: repomdiv1kEstmp.xml preupgrade-_local (baseurl) url:
> file:/var/lib/yum/plugins/local now: file:/var/lib/yum/plugins/local
> unknown metadata being downloaded: repomdcxzBXKtmp.xml

This seems to indicate that at least the local plugin is interfering
with getting the F14 preupgrade repo information.

> preupgrade-fedora (mirrorlist)
>   url:
> https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-14&arch=x86_64
> now:
> https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-14&arch=x86_64
> Can't set up new repo preupgrade-fedora - removing

Here is your failure

> preupgrade-rpmfusion-free (mirrorlist) url:
> http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-14&arch=x86_64
> now:
> http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-14&arch=x86_64
> unknown metadata being downloaded: repomdLW15Tntmp.xml

another failure

> preupgrade-rpmfusion-free-updates (mirrorlist) url:
> http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-updates-released-14&arch=x86_64
> now:
> http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-updates-released-14&arch=x86_64
> unknown metadata being downloaded: repomdjDybdRtmp.xml

another failure

> preupgrade-rpmfusion-nonfree (mirrorlist) url:
> http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-14&arch=x86_64
> now:
> http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-14&arch=x86_64
> unknown metadata being downloaded: repomdcN5VAttmp.xml
> preupgrade-rpmfusion-nonfree-updates (mirrorlist) url:
> http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-updates-released-14&arch=x86_64
> now:
> http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-updates-released-14&arch=x86_64
> unknown metadata being downloaded: repomdfmOtL6tmp.xml

another failure, again probably a plugin caused failure

> preupgrade-updates (mirrorlist) url:
> https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f14&arch=x86_64
> now:
> https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f14&arch=x86_64
> Can't set up new repo preupgrade-updates - removing
> preupgrade-virtualbox (baseurl) url:
> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/rpm/fedora/14/x86_64 now:
> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/rpm/fedora/14/x86_64
> unknown metadata being downloaded: repomd3bZGRntmp.xml 0 packages
> excluded due to repository protections unknown metadata being

again, here is a failure, probably due to one of the plugins

> downloaded: MEMORY Fetched treeinfo from
> http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Fedora/x86_64/os//.treeinfo
> treeinfo timestamp: Fri Oct 22 05:27:17 2010 /boot/upgrade/vmlinuz
> checksum OK /boot/upgrade/initrd.img checksum
> OK /boot/upgrade/install.img checksum OK Downloading 42.7MB Available
> disk space for /var/cache/yum/preupgrade: 3.6GB Upgrade requires
> 500.0MB Available disk space for /usr: 3.5GB Kernel requires 26.0MB
> Available disk space for /boot: 3.5GB Generating metadata for
> preupgrade repo DEBUG /sbin/grubby --title="Upgrade to Fedora 14
> (Laughlin)" --remove-kernel="/boot/upgrade/vmlinuz"
> --add-kernel="/boot/upgrade/vmlinuz"
> --initrd="/boot/upgrade/initrd.img" --args="preupgrade
> repo=hd::/var/cache/yum/preupgrade
> ks=hd:UUID=3680f081-fa85-44d9-9d34-a7915f0f976c:/boot/upgrade/ks.cfg
> stage2=hd:UUID=3680f081-fa85-44d9-9d34-a7915f0f976c:/boot/upgrade/install.img"
>

> there is nothing from /var/log/messages

It seems the preupgrade messages aren't logged.  But no matter, your
clever capture above caught what was needed.  You should probably open
a bugzilla, https://bugzilla.redhat.com/ , to have preupgrade abort
with an appropriate error message when it can't download repo
information or ignore plugins during the preupgrade process.