Re: F-14 and a USB Webcam -

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 11:48:24 -0600 Bob Goodwin
<bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/12/10 12:01, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 09:04:23 -0600 Bob Goodwin
> > <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

> > The thread here inflamed my secret desire for having an ancient
> > low-cost camera work with linux again. This has only previously worked
> > with windoze and i gave up after several weeks of trying to do this.
> > Anyway, here is the output of lsusb:
> >
> > Bus 004 Device 003: ID 041e:401b Creative Technology, Ltd
> >
> > I installed ekiga, and am lost as to what to do with it. I type:
> >
> > ekiga
> >
> > and the terminal just stares back at me.
> >
> > I tried
> >
> > ekiga-helper
> >
> > and the terminal prompt came back after around 12-13 seconds. The only
> > command starting with ekiga that I did not try was ekiga-config-tool
> > and it was screaming not to left out of the fun, so I did the following:
> >
> > ekiga-config-tool
> >
> > Usage:  ekiga-config-tool OPTION
> > Fixes problems with the Ekiga settings
> >
> >    --clean                remove all user settings
> >    --install-schemas      install schemas with default settings (run as root)
> >    --clean-schemas        remove schemas with default settings (run as root)
> >    --fix-permissions      fix permissions of GConf repository (run as root)
> >
> > I tried the last two, to no avail.
> >
> > Any suggestions? I looked around at the ekiga wiki/manual: nothing good
> > came out of that either. At least the parts that I looked at were for
> > people who were already running ekiga: not dumb enough to get stopped
> > at the first prompt....
> >
> > I am not wedded to ekiga, only to something that might work with my
> > webcam (and there is no reason to believe that that might happen also).
> >
> > Best wishes,
> > Ranjan
>
>         guvcview [yum] looks like a good bet. It's working with this
>         old, inexpensive Logitech camera which in the past functioned
>         only with Windows!  Ekiga probably would work but like you I
>         gave up on it since I was getting off on a tangent  configuring
>         it when what I was really interested in was just the video
>         settings for the webcam.
>
>         Good luck.
>
>         Bob

Ok, thanks, Bob! However no such luck: I get the following.

guvcview
guvcview 1.4.2
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
video device: /dev/video0
opening '/sys/class/video4linux' failed: Error opening directory '/sys/class/video4linux': No such file or directory
Unable to detect devices on your system
ERROR opening V4L interface: No such file or directory
Init video returned -1
Segmentation fault

Is there some rpm that I am missing?

Best wisehs,