Re: FluidSynth configuration

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 14:46 -0800, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
> I installed FluidSynth and qsynth on my F13 / KDE install. When qsynth
> comes up, it asked me to do some additional configuration by modifying
> /etc/security/limits.conf to add:
>
>   @audio          -       rtprio          100
>   @audio          -       nice            -10
>
> After I made the changes and restarted it, it then asked me to add
> myself to the audio group.
>
> I'm not sure what I did or why this needs to be done. I'd appreciate a
> pointer or some better advice.
>
> Logging in with my new group showed that qsynth was working, although
> I have yet to hear any sound from it. I tested with pianobooster,
> musescore, firefox on a site with MIDI, and a few other MIDI apps I
> thought would make MIDI sound.
>
> (I haven't logged out and back in through X yet. I'd prefer not to
> have to do so.)
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Should I go talk with the FluidSynth guys
> about my particular situation? Do we need to tweak the fluidsynth RPM?
> (I'm volunteering to help.)

Jonathan,

Im' not sure about Fedora's right config concerning fluidsynth, but this
is how I did (still working on F14).

1. Config some defaults:
# usermod -a -G audio rodolfoap # requires relogin
# vi /etc/security/limits.conf
 # End of file
 @audio          -       rtprio           99
 @audio          -       nice            -19
 @audio          -       memlock         1443915

2. Disable pulseaudio
$ echo "autospawn = no" > ~/.pulse/client.conf
$ pulseaudio -k

Then, start qjackctl. Furthermore, you can start qsynth.
I use BIAB and Finale, so then I start it with wine, config
the midi port and start playing.

I wish we can find some better and smooth fedora way.

On f13 I needed the planetccrma version of qjackctl, I think, but Im not
sure, so I installed the repo and updated qjackctl.

Cheers.
Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo - nospaze@xxxxxxxxx
otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962