Re: Fedora and window Xp dual boot

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Shelby, James <James.Shelby@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When you install Fedora you choose where to install the boot loader.  It was
> installed on the fedora drive instead of the windows drive.  It would be
> less risky to add Fedora to the Windows boot loader.

Many years ago now, I either misunderstood and/or didn't follow
correctly the boot loader instructions given by the installer (RedHat
or Fedora, can't remember now).

Result: two unbootable disks, just like the OP here.

I'm going to get a lot of pushback/criticism/bs, but here's my position:

Boot sectors and boot loaders are for writers of OS installation disks
and viruses.  Everyone else should just leave well enough alone.

If you can try a change that can be undone, like fiddling with a chain
loader in boot.ini, you might want to consider trying that, but *most
people won't know how to recover if something goes wrong*.

My advice: Let Windows and Linux each install as if the other weren't
there and find some other way to choose which disk boots.  There are a
number of advantages to doing business this way, but the biggest are:

1. You can't screw it up.

2. You don't have two drives/OS's tied together by some boot mechanism
that you might want to change at some later time.  If the primary disk
fails, for example, the other disk will still boot just fine.  If you
want to move one of the disks to a different machine, you don't have
to do anything.

How, without fussing with boot sectors and loaders do you choose which
disc a machine boots from?

These days, every motherboard seems to give me the option of changing
the boot order in the setup screen at the very beginning of the boot.
It's not a one-click operation, but unlike most other options, if you
do it incorrectly, you can always do it again.

In the old days, I routinely made a boot floppy for Linux.  If I
wanted to boot linux, I put the floppy in.  If I wanted to boot
Windows, I left the floppy out.  In theory, you can still make a boot
CD, but (so far as I know) it's now a lot harder than mkbootdisk was.
There is, at least theoretically, still the possibility of doing
something like this.

If you're not going to switch back and forth often, then I recommend
using the setup screen to choose the boot disk.  If you *are* going to
switch back and forth often and you have a modern processor, I'm going
to wonder why you don't virtualize one or the other so you can use
both at the same time, rather than dual booting at all.

Robert.