Re: 5 Beginner questions regarding Fedora 14

2010/12/8 Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx>

On 12/08/2010 07:00 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 01:51 -0800, S Mathias wrote:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash
>>
>> Theres no exact documentation for Fedora 14. So I went to:
>>
>> http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
>>
>> Selected YUM for Linux, but then i saw:
>>
>> "You may have to temporarily disable your antivirus software."
>>
>> WHY? Why does a closed source app want a thing like that? Is it doing
>> something "bad" to my pc? Ok.
>
> You see that sort of generic warning all over the place.  It's generally
> a Windows problem where some software will be falsely detected as a
> virus, or some protective software will prevent the installation of new
> software as a general precaution.
>
> I've always read such warnings as, first just try installing.  And if
> the installation fails, you may have to make allowances for the install
> to proceed.
>
> It's similar to the "turn off your firewall" dumb instruction, rather
> than "reconfigure your firewall."
>
>>  So i installed Gnash. "Solved"...
>
> Until you come across some site that will only work with the Adobe flash
> software...  Annoying, I know.  But if you come across a Flash site that
> doesn't work, that's one thing you're going to have to investigate.
>

>> 3 - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12714/ force-tls
>> Does this plugin work? E.g.: facebook could be "always" https, but
>> with this plugin, it just uses http.
>> On a machine with windows xp/chromium/enforce ssl plugin facebook is
>> always "https" - just an example.
>> Are there any Firefox plugins, that "enforce" SSL, if there any?
>
> I hope you're aware that you can only try to use SSL (HTTPS) where it's
> available.  Not all services/sites are available over both HTTP and
> HTTPS.  And as you move through a site, they may bounce you from one
> protocol to the other.  Trying to force something the site didn't intend
> could cause you problems.  It certainly causes more work for both sides
> of the communication.
>>
>> 5 - I read about SELinux. But what is the "best practise" /
>> suggestion, where can i learn about it, how to use it, configure,
>> etc. :O
>
> No easy answer to that.  Though best answer might be do not turn off
> just for the sake of "can't be bothered to configure it, or can't be
> stuffed debugging problems."  Turning it off, or putting it into
> "permissive" (stop nothing, merely log problems), is never *solving* a
> SELinux problem.

Try these documents.
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/selinux-user-guide/f12/en-US/
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/selinux-managing-confined-services-guide/en-US/F11/html/

Answers:

1.- As root, enable both the RPMFusion and the Adobe repositories with:

su -c 'yum localinstall --nogpgcheck http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm'
and

rpm -ivh http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/adobe-release/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm

Then, install flash player with:

sudo yum -y install flash-plugin

2.- Download and install Google Chrome, refer to: http://www.google.com/chrome
(Chrome also has flash-player pre-installed)

3.-  just tipe https: at the begining of the URL you're about to visit O.o

4.- At the Fedora Wiki: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Project_Wiki or come and visit my blog at: http://www.blogxenode,tk/ I'll always be there for all the fedora users :)

5.- You don't have to do anything with SELinux, just let it be :)

Greetings!

--
<-Manuel Escudero->
Linux User #509052