Re: Setup local repo for F14 install packages. What am I doing wrong?

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Darr <darr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 08 December, 2010 @16:57 zulu, Richard Shaw scribed:
>
>> I copied all the packages from the F14 x86_64 installation disc into a
>> directory (/var/local/packages/fedora/14...) and then ran createrepo
>> on it. I setup a new repo file called local.repo.
>>
>> It recognizes the repo fine but I want to make sure it tries to use
>> packages from it before downloading them. I tried yum-priorities but
>> it seems to exclude too many packages to the point of not catching
>> updates.
>
> If you use
> # yum -C install /var/local/packages/[i.e.full/path/to]/filename.rpm
> it should not even try to update the online repos' metadata files.
>
> According to 'yum man' localinstall is a legacy command.

I was managing things that way but I like the idea of having all those
random rpm's (not just the F14 install repos) in an actual repo.
Installing directly from rpm's will not pick up dependencies that are
also packages outside of a repository.

Case in point: For a while RPMFusion's avidemux package was broken for
F14 so I built them from the F13 source packages. It creates several
packages, some of which are install dependencies and some of which I
don't need. Installing directly you have to know which packages are
needed or install them all, adding them to a repository solves that
problem quite elegantly.

Richard

Thanks,
Richard