Re: F12 -> F14 (via preupgrade), not so smooth

I just wanted to send out an update after (almost) 2 weeks.

On 11/03/2010 02:52 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Last night, after I successfully upgraded my F13 test desktop from
> F13->F14 w/preupgrade, I started the same operation on my F12 laptop.
>
> The results were not so good.
>
> X86_64, Asus S96J laptop, w/ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 video card,
> IPW3945, 2GB RAM, 350GB disk.

[snip]

> 2) X11 no longer starts up.  I'm using the radeon driver for my ATI
> Technologies Inc M56P [Radeon Mobility X1600].  It was working just fine
> (as fine can be with the radeon driver), but now it dies with a seg
> fault with only 3 frames on the stack.  I have re-configured to run the
> VESA driver, but, I miss my 1200x800 native resolution.  VESA can only
> do 1024x768.  I can attach my (used to be working) xorg.conf for anyone
> interested, but it fails in exactly the same way if I delete it as well.
>  I can try again and send along an Xorg.0.log if it will help.

I tried starting the radeon server both with and without an xorg.conf
file in /etc/X11.  I get the same results.

I tried removing "nomodeset" from my kernel boot line.  With the radeon
driver configured, things get worse.  It still doesn't start, and I lose
my keyboard and have to lean on the power button to get control back.

I removed the bootchart stuff, no difference.

The Xorg.0.log files I saved are too big to send to the list (in fact,
the list moderator bounced them back to me with no personal explanation
of why).  So, I'm putting them on my home server.  They can be found here:

	http://kjchome.homeip.net:81/Xorg.0.log.none
	http://kjchome.homeip.net:81/Xorg.0.log.radeon

I suppose I should open a bug against the radeon driver in bugzilla and
attach them there.

> 2a) VESA has lots of problems returning to a proper video mode.  If I
> run dosbox in full-screen mode, when it returns to X11, the resolution
> is less than stellar.  Its the same size, but it seems like every other
> pixel is missing.  Heck, All I have to do is switch to a diferent
> virtual console, and X11 is hosed when I return to it.  Even the color
> pallette seems to be changed.  I have to logout and restart the X server
> to get it back.

I tried the VESA driver without "nomodeset".  Things get worse.

I will open a bug against the VESA driver as well.

[snip]

6) I found that alsa-plugins-pulseaudio was an i686 RPM on my system.
I installed the x86_64 version, and some sound problems went away.  I
was actually amazed at how mush was actually working without it being
the correct architecture.

7) Eclipse bombs out on me.  Whenever I bring up an old project and
either try and edit it, or run make (build) on it, java dies and eclipse
aborts.  I've tried submitting a bug report with ABRT, but it tries to
download 173 debuginfo packages and ends up aborting itself (it can't
either find something or rebuild something).

8) I found/fixed a problem with KDUMP, but that wasn't working for me on
F12 either.

9) Suspend works (probably because I'm using the VESA video driver), but
aborts when resuming.  I haven't looked into why yet.

10) Hibernate seems to work OK, but I've not done enough testing with it
to be sure.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx