Re: mail to another machine on the LAN

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 07:00 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> It looks as if you've not changed the default configuration for
> sendmail.
>
> By default it will only listen on the loopback address.
>
> You need to go to /etc/mail and edit the sendmail.mc file.  Details of
> this are located in the file.
>
> Specifically, you need to locate this within the file....
>
> dnl # The following causes sendmail to only listen on the IPv4 loopback address
> dnl # 127.0.0.1 and not on any other network devices. Remove the loopback
> dnl # address restriction to accept email from the internet or intranet.
> dnl # DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

Though, consider the following:

Will that machine be accessible from outside your LAN?  If so, you need
to take anti-spam steps.

Will that machine be accessible by (potentially) untrustworthy users
within your LAN?  The same precaution applies.

What anti-spam steps could you take?  You could limit SMTP server to
only sending to local addresses, so it can't spam the outside world.
You could limit it to only accepting connections from your LAN, so
outsiders can't get in.  You can use the detection of bogus/forged
addresses for blocking transmission of spam.  You can run anti-spam
software that looks at message content, to block spam...

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.