Trouble with DNS configuration

I've been using Fedora exclusively since F 9 (and dual boot before that)
on my desktop computer and am now using F 13.  Until recently, I had no
trouble with DNS.  Then, I decided to try the Norton DNS numbers.  Ever
since, every time I reboot I have no DNS until I reconfigure it with
system-config-network.  (I have Network Manager turned off because it
doesn't work well for me.)  Checking, /etc/resolv.conf claims that
there's no DNS numbers listed in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, but
both ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-lo not only have the proper numbers, they've
not been modified recently.

I've been trying to find out how to stop this on fedoraforum.org, but
the only suggestion is to reconfigure with Network Manager, even though
I've stated that I'm not using it.  I find it hard to believe that this
is a bug, because if it were, I'd not be the only person affected by it.
  Does anybody here have a suggestion on how to keep this from happening
in the future?  I've just updated the kernel, but am holding off on
rebooting to see if there's anything you folks can suggest first, as I
hate rebooting Linux if I don't have to.