Re: VHS->DVD

On 10/22/2010 07:25 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 12:42:13 +0100
>> Andrew Haley<aph@xxxxxxxxxx>   wrote:

>>> I have a need for this (an old wedding video).  I'd be interested to know
>>> if anyone here knows of a tv capture card that works well with Fedora.
>>
>> I used an old Brooktree BT848 based card for doing mine. The 848/878
>> based cards are normally found for peanuts over here these days and also
>> do analogue TV if you are in a part of the world that still has the old
>> system in use.
>>
>> Alan
>
> Many of us are in the part of the world where the cable provider puts (must put)
> anything broadcast in HD on as clear QAM, and most of the original analog
> channels on so people with old TVs will still buy cable. I have several tuners
> which will do both, but haven't found a viewing/recording application to control
> and use the tuner. And mythtv is way too heavy weight for casual use, what I
> want is the old xawtv or similar which knows about both analog and digital.

Almost all digital camcorders, HD or SD, have a/v inputs. Just run a
cable from your vhs deck to the camcorder. The camcorder will do an
excellent job converting to digital. Of course, once you get in on the
camcorder you'll need to transfer it to your computer, transcode it, and
author and burn it to dvd.

BTW, if you can find one, use a SVHS tape deck to output your tape, even
if your tape is standard VHS. You're dealing with a pretty noisy medium,
and it's much better to keep luma and chroma separate (as it is even on
a standard vhs tape) than to have the vhs deck combine it, and then have
the camcorder separate it.

sean