Re: How to change console font in grub2?

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 8:39 PM, JD <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> First step (chainloaded from grub1):
>>> yum install grub2 gettext
>>> grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>>>
>>> Reboot and choose "GRUB 2" from the grub1 menu to ensure that the
>>> chainloading works. The "GRUB 2" entry should load the grub1
>>> equivalent of stage 1.5 but located in "/boot/grub2", which should
>>> then load the grub2 menu. If you're satisfied with the boot, you can
>>> go to the next stage.
>>>
>>> Second step ("full" install):
>>> grub2-install /dev/sda
>>>
>>> (I vaguely remember filing a bug report for grub2 to depend on gettext
>>> a few months ago.)
>>
>> Thanx for the head-up Tom.
>> I think you or some other OP stated that in grub 2
>> you cannot manually edit the grub menu (grub2.conf ?? )
>> Is this correct? If yes,
>> how can the user then alter the boot params in the boot menu?
>
> You're welcome.
>
> You can edit "/boot/grub2/grub.cfg" but it'll be overwritten the next
> time that grub2-mkconfig runs (for example when a new kernel's
> installed).
>
> The boot params can be changed through "/boot/default/grub". This is a
> default location for changing settings in Debian and Ubuntu so I'd
> expect Fedora to move it to /etc/sysconfig once/if grub2's fully
> fleshed out. The variables are GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX AND
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT (the former is to set boot params for both
> the "regular" entry and "recovery" entry).

I forgot to say that you have to run "grub2-mkconfig -o
/boot/grub2/grub.cfg" to apply these boot params. Debian and Ubuntu
have an "update-grub" script that runs "grub-mkconfig -o
/boot/grub/grub.cfg" that may also exist upstream but doesn't exist in
Fedora.