Re: Installing F14 Beta

  On 10/15/10 3:48 PM, JD wrote:
>    On 10/15/2010 11:23 AM, James McKenzie wrote:

>>> There IS a fedora test list.
>> True, for both POC and you.  However, guys coming down on someone like
>> they are a nail and you are a hammer is not very good for FC public
>> relations and sometimes does not get the 'job done.'
>>
>> It just might be good to know what did not work with the beta when the
>> GA comes down and we experience the same problem in this list.  Such
>> information should not be placed into a vacuum or list that gets wiped
>> for each FC 'version'.
>>
>> And Rawhide is a Fedora 'version' as is 14, but they have their own list
>> for now and brokenness and other issues SHOULD go to them.
>>
>> James McKenzie
>>
> James, you can't play the peacemaker and be on the side
> that is clearly WRONG!!!
Maybe in your eyes, but there is the golden rule of use of mailing
lists:  Post only that is pertinent to the appropriate mailing list.  If
there is a mailing list for a particular function, that is where the
post SHOULD go.  Just because the Fedora User mailing list looks like a
garbage can does not mean it should be.  If there is a test version
question, that is where the question should go.  It has been stated that
the Fedora developers do not lurk in this list and problems reported
here may or may not be corrected.  This is what I call a disservice to
those who loaded up a test version to look at and report problems.
> Read  my posts immediately prior to this one!!
I did.
> I have read all the guidelines of the list. If anything, they
> support and backup my statements.
> This is a general users list for anything "fedora"
> REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT THERE ARE
> DEDICATED LISTS OR FORUMS FOR THAT SPECIFIC
> FEDORA ISSUE.
> As I stated:  for just about every issue posted here,
> there is a dedicated list or form. Are you going to tell
> every user to stop posting on this list and go to that
> dedicated list or forum?
No, I'm not.  The best situation that I can show of off-topic but yet
on-topic postings is the question on Apache.  This really needs to be
addressed in the Apache forums, but I did not jump on this person's
question and state that they had 'posted an off-topic message and to
take this elsewhere.'

> If this were an actual rule of this list, this list would be
> empty!

Not necessarily.  Again, we don't want this list to be a 'failure to
communicate' which is a real poor reflection on this project.  Again, if
the problem involves problems with a test version, that is where the
question should go.  The Fedora developers don't read this list (as far
as anyone here has stated, I would love to be incorrect in this.)

The purpose of this list is for user support by other users and
sometimes, RedHat folks.  Most of the answers I see here are from people
like you, a user and me, a user.  We really cannot help folks fix
serious brokenness in a test build, and that is not what we are here
for.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  The same applies for RawHide, the high
rate of change version of Fedora.  There are other lists for some of the
programs that are supplied by the Fedora project, but if it has to do
with Fedora it is allowed here.  Again the emphasis is that users will
receive general help in most cases.  There have been threads that
definitely were not Fedora oriented, but they were very lively and gave
out very good and helpful information.

Posting messages relating to test versions are not usually tracked in a
general user forum/mailing list.  This causes problems when there are
problems that this forum cannot answer.

One thing that I'm not going to do, that others have done is jump on
folks that post here about FC 14 or Rawhide.  I might give them a gentle
reminder that the assistance they will receive here will not be as high
quality nor have the authority of people in the other lists and then
direct them to the appropriate list where they should receive better
assistance.  I will state again "You can draw more 'bees' with honey
than you ever can with vinegar" is a statement that I've found to work
time and time again.  We don't need to crush folks because they posted
here, but rather be gentle with them.  Can we ALL do this?  Yes, I think
we can and more importantly, should.

James McKenzie